Subject: Re: gcc-3.1.x question
To: Sung N. Cho <sucho2@vt.edu>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/20/2002 12:57:31
On Thu, Jun 20, 2002 at 03:39:54PM +0000, Sung N. Cho wrote:

 > I was wondering if NetBSD will be switching to gcc-3.1.x for it's compilers
 > any soon.  Does anyone know of the status?  I believe FreeBSD camp have
 > switched to gcc-3.1.x if I'm correct.  Also, if anyone is using gcc-3.1.x,
 > are there significant performance improvements over binaries generated from
 > gcc-2.95.x?  What about the kernel performance?  It may not be much of an
 > issue for everyday use binaries, but for something that runs for a week
 > (simulations, etc.) will be of some impact.  Thank you.

I have been working on a toolchain upgrade plan which includes gcc 3.x.
Whether or not that is 3.1 or 3.2 is still up in the air.

I think everyone agrees that 3.2 would be a better choice (because 3.2
will have all of the necessary changes to properly support being a
system compiler for NetBSD, whereas those changes would need to be
back-ported to 3.1).  However, it's un-clear whether or not people want
to wait for 3.2 (which is scheduled for December of this year).