Subject: Re: XFree86 Thanks & Question
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus20020619T134703@wsrcc.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/19/2002 13:59:06
> > Everything looks good and my mouse is working. The only bad thing is
> > that this set up my system with a 85Mhz refresh rate instead of the
> > 75Mhz rate I would rather have.
>
> Generally, you want to have the highest refresh rate you can
> manage. Is there a particular reason you want to have a lower one
> intentionally?

"picture sharpness"

Your CRT's intensity modulation circuitry does not have an unlimited
frequency response.  Even a very good monitor is only good to around
250Mhz to 300Mhz before it rolls off in frequency response.  When you
work out the total dot times you need to draw a full screen you'll
find that there isn't that there just isn't that much extra time to
screw around.  Wasting the limited frequency response to bump the
refresh rate needlessly will leave you with more horizontal smearing
than needed.  i

Try drawing single pixel lines horizontally in half the screen and
vertically on the other half.  If the two halfs look different then
you are seeing the effects of limited frequency response.  (This is
assuming your screen is setup for square pixels and your scan-lines
are just barely touching etc.)

-wolfgang