Subject: Re: PAM installation via pkg
To: Brent B. Powers <nbsdh@b2pi.com>
From: David S. <davids@idiom.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/18/2002 23:51:26

> To integrate with the reset of my machines, I need to install
> PAM. When I install it from (binary) package, it installs into
> /usr/pkg/....  However, I don't see how it gets called from there. It
> seems to me that at least the majority (non-documentation parts)
> should be located from / , but I know so little about the package
> system that I'd rather, as a learning exercise, do this 'properly'.
>
> Hints? Pointers?

It probably doesn't matter where the PAM package is installed, because
by itself it doesn't "do" anything.  It only becomes useful when you
link programs requiring authentication of some sort against the PAM
libraries, so you can configure their authentication via the various
PAM modules.  None of the native NetBSD programs that require
authentication need PAM.  If you want them to use PAM, you'll either
have to re-compile accordingly, or (more likely) replace them with
"PAM-aware" versions.

David S.