Subject: Re: CVS & XFree 4
To: Jeff Flowers <jeffrey@jeffreyf.net>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/18/2002 22:23:20
On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, Jeff Flowers wrote:

> I have a some quick questions. I am using NetBSD 1.6Beta2 (200206180000):
>
> 1. I remember having to add cvs to NetBSD 1.5.2 but it is in the 1.6Beta
> version already. Is cvs included only because I am running a beta?

No, it's part of the base system now.

> 2. Since I want to install XFree 4, I intent to use CVS (as was recommended
> to me) to pull xsrc. Does the system expect xsrc to be any place in
> particular? Also, what version of XF-4 is in xsrc?

No, not at all. Nothing needs to know where "xsrc" is -- you can just
"cd" into "xsrc", wherever it is, and execute

    make build USE_XF86_4=yes

> 3. The xterm included with XFree 4 supports truetype fonts, from what I
> understand. Even with TTF support, you still need to use a monospace font,
> don't you?

Yes it does! I would think so, yes, or the output of many programs
would look terrible. There is even one mono-space TTF font included,
-b&h-Luxi Mono-medium-r-normal--0-0-0-0-m-0-adobe-*'. It looks nice
enough for the menus, but not the text (in my opinion).

Frederick