Subject: RE: kdelibs3 compilation error on NetBSD 1.6A
To: Nick Hudson <skrll@netbsd.org>
From: sucho2 <sucho2@vt.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/18/2002 08:13:04
>===== Original Message From Nick Hudson <skrll@netbsd.org> =====
>On Monday 17 June 2002 2:39 pm, sucho2 wrote:
>> >===== Original Message From Nick Hudson <skrll@netbsd.org> =====

>> >How much memory/swap do you have? The error suggests that your system is
>> >running low of memory and as a consequence the VM system kills the
compiler
>> >process.
>> >
>> >Nick
>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I have 128RAM/256 SWAP.  Thanks.
>
>I would appreciate if you could try again after you've added more swap (man
>swapctl).
>
>Thanks,
>Nick

Hey, what do you know, you were right!  KDE3 needed more swap space.  I
couldn't believe 256Meg of swap on system with 128 Meg isn't enough to compile
KDE3.  I increased my swap size to 512Meg and kdelibs3 compiled and installed
overnight.  Now it's compiling kdebsae3.  I've used top to check on swap usage
previously when I only had 256Meg of swap but it showed swap was hardly being
used at all (nevertheless, kdelibs3 failed always 3 times on 3 different days,
with 3 fresh reinstalls of NetBSD).  I guess top is not the program to monitor
how much swap is actually being used?  The system I'm compiling now is on
i386, NetBSD 1.6B.  Thanks.

Yours sincerely,
Sung N. Cho,
Tuesday, June 18, 2002.