Subject: Re: Beep me no beep.
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@wasabisystems.com>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/16/2002 23:23:39
> Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu> writes:
> > Is there a way to turn of the console's beep?
>
> The term "console's beep" is somewhat ambiguous here...

Yes.  Then again, I'm not sure exactly how the beep is being sounded.  I
assumed that X doesn't do anything sophisticated with sound, so it may be
relying on the underlying system (from which the X server was run) to beep
when it emits a ^G.

> > (It is loud and almost never tells me anything that I care to know.  In
> > particular, if I have XMMS playing music, with the volume set at a
> > comfortable level, the beep is often jarringly loud.)
>
> Okay, what you seem to mean here is that you want ^G going off in your
> xterms not to cause a beep. I'd say the BEST way for you to do this is

That would take care of ksh-in-xterm.  This is actually rather more rarely
a problem than emacs, however.  This will not help emacs, since I don't
force emacs to use the xterm window.

> still get alerted to beeps at least some of the time. As an
> alternative or in addition, you can use the xset utility to set the

This looks like what I want.  Something that lets me set the beep/bell for
the whole system, not just one application (xterm).  I'll see if I can
make my laptop behave properly with this.  (^&

Thanks.