Subject: Re: Beep me no beep.
To: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@wasabisystems.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/16/2002 23:43:06
Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu> writes:
> Is there a way to turn of the console's beep?

The term "console's beep" is somewhat ambiguous here...

> (It is loud and almost never tells me anything that I care to know.  In
> particular, if I have XMMS playing music, with the volume set at a
> comfortable level, the beep is often jarringly loud.)

Okay, what you seem to mean here is that you want ^G going off in your
xterms not to cause a beep. I'd say the BEST way for you to do this is
to set the visual bell mode for your xterms in your .Xdefaults so you
still get alerted to beeps at least some of the time. As an
alternative or in addition, you can use the xset utility to set the
volume (or turn off) the X server's beep function. See the xterm and
xset man pages for details on both of these.

--
Perry E. Metzger		perry@wasabisystems.com