Subject: Beep me no beep.
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/16/2002 22:19:37
Is there a way to turn of the console's beep?  Ideally, I'd like to send
it to /dev/null, or equivalent.  (^&

(It is loud and almost never tells me anything that I care to know.  In
particular, if I have XMMS playing music, with the volume set at a
comfortable level, the beep is often jarringly loud.)

Alternatively, is there a way to turn the beep's volume down?  (Other than
by simply turning down the volume knob.  Even with the XMMS slider all the
way up, the beep is at least as loud as (generally louder than) any music
that I'm listening to.  If I'm comfortable with the music, the beep is
disturbing.  If the beep is comfortable, the music is too low.)

I tried disabling the speaker/beep related options in my kernel config,
but a beep still happens.  For the system in question, I'd be happy to
completely lose the beep.

This mostly botheres me in an xterm attached to ksh and in emacs under X.
I could probably find applications-pecific knobs to twiddle (or hack the
sources) to eliminate the beeps there.  But, I'd really like to know if
there's a nice way to do this at the system level.