Subject: Re: what man(1) reads
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/15/2002 17:41:08
On 15 Jun 2002 16:55:21 -0400, "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com>
wrote:

> "James K. Lowden" <jklowden@schemamania.org> writes:
> > I'm using txt2man, and it's producing some not-quite-right output.  I
> > want to tweak it, but I can't seem to find the nroff (?) macros that
> > man pages use.
> >
> > and I don't know where to read about .B and friends.
>
> Unix manuals are written with ?roff macro packages. Older
> (i.e. traditional) unix man pages are written in the "man" macros. BSD
> switched a long time ago to the newer "mdoc" macros. You run the
> document through troff or nroff, tell it "-man" or "-mdoc" and it
> produces appropriate human readable text.

I see.  Looks like I didn't understand my question entirely. :)

> There is no documentation in NetBSD itself for the man macros, but I
> happen to have the following man page around from the CSRG Final
> source tree.

Thank you!  That will do nicely.  I plunked it in
/usr/local/man/man7/manmac.7 and now "man manmac" works (not sure I like
the name, though). :/

I know this is a dark corner of NetBSD and hardly a hot topic besides, but
would you suggest I send-pr that file to have it included in the main
documentation?

Regards,

--jkl