Subject: Re: 1.6_BETA1 and VMWare
To: Arto Huusko <arto.huusko@utu.fi>
From: None <rasputin@idoru.mine.nu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/14/2002 15:18:14
* Arto Huusko <arto.huusko@utu.fi> [020614 14:35]:
> On Fri, 14 Jun 2002 rasputin@idoru.mine.nu wrote:
>
> > > I had previously installed VMWare to my 1.5.2 machine, and now that
> > > I upgraded to 1.6_BETA1 I ran into trouble.
> > >
> > > I get:
> > >
> > > Starting vmnetif
> > > /dev/vmnet1: Bad file descriptor
> >
> > Did you reboot first to load the new LKMs?
>
> Yes, I did. I pretty much think I tried everything. I also
> tried vmnet0, but that did not work either.
>
> But, hmm, I'm not sure if something changed in my kernel config. Have
> to check that later, since the config files aren't on this machine.

I'd tend to build vmware-modules when the contents of /usr/src
are in sync with the running kernel, just to be safe.
(I could quite possibly be leading you astray here, but I feel
safer that way).

> Does VMWare require anything special from kernel? (And yes,
> I do have linux, elf32 emul, and LKM support)

Don't think so? I'm using current, but it worked on 1.5.2 as well.

This is host-only we're talking about, isn't it?
Haven't tried anything else.

Only gotcha I had was I needed to force IPF to relaod *after* vmnet1
appeared - if the LKM loaded after ipfilter had started, I couldn't
route down vmnet1. Adding

ipf -Fa -f /etc/ipf.conf to /etc/rc.local did the trick.