Subject: dump, RCMD_CMD, TAPE
To: netbsd-help <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Matt Herzog <mherzog@attbi.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/13/2002 13:10:59
Hi All.

I have a tape drive on my server (pobble) and I would like to run dump from
another machine (felt) to back up that same machine, felt.

Felt needs to send its dumps TO pobble, because pobble has a tape drive and
felt does not.

The dump man page makes all kinds of tantalizing remarks about rdump, rmt, TAPE and RCMD_CMD but has no example syntax.

I have been able to pipe dumps across the wire (using ssh) to dd of=/dev/nrst0
but this seems like extra steps since the dump man page seems to allude that
if one has the right env variables set, one may be able to run:

/sbin/dump -9u /var

on a machine with no local tape drive and dump will know it needs to
operate a remote tape device. Searches of the www on this issue have
proved fruitless. What needs to be configured on the tape drive server?
What needs to be configured on the client machine? I have these variables
set in my root .kshrc file on felt, the system that needs backing up (felt):

TAPE=operator@pobble:/dev/nrst0
RCMD_CMD=/usr/bin/ssh

If I type: /sbin/dump -9u /var
I get:

DUMP: Found /dev/rwd0e on /var in /etc/fstab
DUMP: Date of this level 9 dump: Thu Jun 13 12:25:32 2002
DUMP: Date of last level 0 dump: Tue Jun 11 16:01:46 2002
DUMP: Dumping /dev/rwd0e (/var) to /dev/nrst0 on host 10.0.2.27
DUMP: Label: none
DUMP: mapping (Pass I) [regular files]
DUMP: mapping (Pass II) [directories]
DUMP: estimated 87696 tape blocks on 2.25 tape(s).
dump: Lost connection to remote host.

P.S. I'd rather not use Amanda. Amanda seems like overkill and I wouldn't
learn as much.

--
Matthew Herzog