Subject: Re: X server and USB mouse after suspend/resume
To: None <brook@biology.nmsu.edu>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/13/2002 07:53:03
On Thu, 13 Jun 2002 brook@biology.nmsu.edu wrote:

> I am setting up my laptop (Dell Inspriron 8100) to suspend/resume
> properly when an X server is running.  With the DPMS option in
> XF86Config the screen is powered off and back on again just fine.  The
> touchpad mouse also works fine before and after the suspend/resume
> cycle.  However, even though NetBSD reprobes the USB bus upon resume
> and finds the USB mouse, the X server apparently is not aware of it
> after a resume.  Consequently, the X server must be reset in order to
> use the USB mouse.
>
> Is there a mechanism for notifying the X server that there is a USB
> mouse available without reseting it?  Or is there a way to configure
> the X server so that it will know about the USB mouse after a
> suspend/resume cycle?

What mouse device is the X server using? If you tell it to use
"/dev/wsmouse", rather than "/dev/wsmouse0", it'll use the "mux"
(multiplex) of all the connected mice, including the USB mouse which
probably connects as "/dev/wsmouse1". By the way, you don't need to do
a suspend/resume just to connect a USB mouse. Just plug it in.

Frederick