Subject: USB cdrom question
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Sung N. Cho <sucho2@vt.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/12/2002 21:55:17
Hi,

I have a laptop (2years old, 500Mhz Celeron system).  Apparently the
cdrom is now missing some barrels and sometimes fail to read certain
cds.  I now have two options, either to get a USB externel cdrom rw
drive for $159 or replace the cdrom through the manufacturer for twice
the money, $250 and it's not even cd rw!  I was wondering, are the
floppy installation disks of netbsd able to read files from the USB
connected externel cdrom within sysinst during clean install on new
hdd?  I usually install via ethernet but at my parents' place, they
don't have ethernet connection and I really need to install right out of
cd's.  If sysinst can detect and enable USB externel cdroms, then I'll
go out and buy the externel USB cdrom right away.  If not, I'll need to
replace the cdrom through manufacturer.  Thank you.

Yours sincerely,
Sung N. Cho,
Wednesday, June 12, 2002.