Subject: Re: ATAPI tape drive not recognized!
To: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/08/2002 22:06:47
On Sat, Jun 08, 2002 at 12:37:05PM -0700, Paul Goyette wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Does anyone have any idea why my BIOS can see my new Seagate TR5 tape
> drive, but NetBSD doesn't?  It just sits there for about 30 seconds when
> it should be "probing" the drive, and then comes back and says no drive
> present.
>
> The BIOS on the machine sees the tape drive just fine, and if I remove
> the tape drive, the NetBSD probe returns immediately rather than waiting
> for ~30 seconds.

Ok the 30 second timeout is (presumably) the device driver waiting
for the IDE master (your tape drive) to report the status of the
IDE slave device.

Precisely why netbsd doesn't like the way your drive behaves
would take some investigation.

You might true making it a slave on an IDE channel that has a
master device - a disk is most likely to be best.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk