Subject: Re: ssh and openssh
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Frank Knappe <knappe@tu-harburg.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/08/2002 01:13:41
On Fri, 7 Jun 2002, James K. Lowden wrote:

> It sounds like you have 1.5.2 or so?  As of 1.5, IIRC, NetBSD included

It's still 1.5.1.

> ssh.  Like most system binaries, it's parked in /usr/bin, and its
> configuration files are in /etc.  There are two configuration files, one
> for the daemon, sshd(8), and one for the client, ssh(1).
>
> It looks like you installed the ssh package after that.  pkgsrc binaries
> get parked in /usr/pkg/bin, configuration files in /usr/pkg/etc.
>
> To "get rid of" the old (non-pkg) version, remove/rename the binaries in
> /usr/bin.  I suppose you'd want to do the same to the man pages
> (/usr/share/man).

How do I know, which files belongs to the "old" ssh and which to the new
one? Simply delete everything with ssh* in the filename what's not in
/usr/pkg/*.

> As for the configuration files, /usr/pkg/bin/ssh will use
> /usr/pkg/etc/ssh_config.  Once you've removed /usr/bin/ssh, the /etc files
> won't have any effect other than confusing you, because .  Personally, I

But why were there also two different sshd config file in /etc? Had older
versions of openssh build from pkgsrc put their config files in /etc?

Ciao , Frank .