Subject: Re: CUPS and NetBSD
To: Jeff Flowers , <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/06/2002 14:22:47
Re. http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-help/2002/06/06/0002.html

For CUPS, I disclaim any knowledge.  The traditional BSD lpr/lpd system
that NetBSD ships with works for my small home net.  (You might also look
into LPRng, if you want something above-and-beyond.)

I don't know about the Epson 740, but at least on NetBSD/i386, the
parallel port is a bit of a CPU hog to use.  (It helps to use the
non-interrupt-driven interface---I think that NetBSD/i386 now configures a
suitable /dev node by default.)

As long as the Epson 740 looks like a standard USB printer (ulpt to
NetBSD), that would be my first preference.  (I have a USB<->printer
adapter for talking to a laser printer.  It prints a little faster, with
less system overhead---even though as far as the printer is concerned, it
is *still* a parallel-port printer.)

Since your prnter has a USB port, this probably isn't worth trying, but a
month or few back, someone mentioned a gadget that sits on an Ethernet and
talks to a parallel printer (this sounded like it was as cheap as, or
cheaper than, the USB interface that I'm using).