Subject: Re: multiboot 1.5.2 & current
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/05/2002 21:04:19
On Sat, Jun 01, 2002 at 02:52:58PM +0200, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> On Fri, May 31, 2002 at 07:20:52PM -0700, Ben Collver wrote:
> > I've set up my system to dual boot 1.5.2 and current.  The boot program
> > boots wd1a:netbsd by default, which is the 1.5.2 kernel.  Interactively I
> > can cause it to boot wd1e:netbsd which is the current kernel.
> >
> > How do I set the default so the boot program boots wd1e:netbsd instead of
> > wd1a:netbsd?
>
> There's no easy way to do this. I think you need to hack the boot loader
> sources.

With EXTREME [1] care you could swap over the designations wd1a and
wd1e - that way 'current' would be the default.

[1] the base block number for a mounted fs is taken from the
current disklabel - not that at the time it was mounted.
There is nothing to stop you changing the block number while
the fs is mounted - but it will corrupt the fs.

The other was to dual boot is to use modified versions of all
the bootstrap bits so that mbr_bootsel can select between
two completely separate netbsd installations (with their own
disklabels) on the same physical volume.  Most of the bits
required to do that are on my web site (www.l8s.co.uk then netbsd)
- however writing the second disklabel is somewhat tricky!

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk