Subject: Re: find command. Newbie question..
To: netbsd-help <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/05/2002 10:13:09
Re. http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-help/2002/06/04/0011.html

Ah, I see that you emailed me seperately from the list...

 > Thanks, just trying to help.

As was I.  Let's not encourage people to ignore the resources already at
their dispoal, eh?  The web can be useful, but in this case, the man-page
is better: It has more information.  It is authoritative (the web-page is
for some LINUX ``distro''; the author didn't even say which one).  It
doesn't require extra software (like a web-browser) or manually copying
files.  Man-pages are centrally indexed by apropos.

Even then, the web can be useful as a supplement (or, in the case of
badly-maintained man-pages, as a replacement) for man-pages.  But, in this
case, there is nothing that I could see on the web-page you cited that
isn't in the man-page.  (Well, nothing useful.  Sprinkling the word
``Linux'' about a document on a traditional UNIX command seems to add no
value, for example.)

A reflex to build up your own mish-mash repository of HTML documents isn't
a terribly healthy thing to do.  At least, not if it's at the expense of
the reflex of use the docs maintained and indexed by and for NetBSD.  The
docs are there, and for the most part seem useful, complete, and
authoritative.