Subject: Re: program to test open-relay
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/04/2002 12:34:55
On Tue, 4 Jun 2002, dan radom wrote:

> I would script it using Expect.pm or just plain old expect.  helo foo;
> mail From:  blah@feh.org; rcpt To:  me@me.org will give you an excellent
> idea if it's open or not.

Also, there are many techniques beyond that to try to get a mail server to
allow third-parties (non-customers) to send mail to other third-parties.

Have a look at my webpage at
http://www.reedmedia.net/misc/mail/open-relay.html for several
techniques.

It is interesting to note that the former ORBZ's open relay testing
software triggers a known problem with some Lotus Domino mail servers.
(One of the techniques crashes the server.)

> > Is there a program that I can run on NetBSD that
> > checks hosts for open relay? I have used rlytest,
> > which seems too simple,, also tried mrt (mail relay
> > tester), not getting much luck. Wondering if there are
> > something else.

I think mrt is the most commonly used. Why isn't rlytest and mrt working
for you?

(Someone should package them!)

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/