Subject: Re: Library Question
To: None <jeffrey@jeffreyf.net>
From: Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/03/2002 06:07:13
--V0207lvV8h4k8FAm

hi jeffrey,

On Sun, Jun 02, 2002 at 11:56:06PM -0400, jeffrey@jeffreyf.net wrote:
> > this is for runtime. read ld.so.conf(1) for explanation what is it
> > used for. just a little note, you don't need to run ldconfig on ELF
> > system.
>=20
> That surprises me, considering that idconfig is run at every boot on
> my 1.5.2 system.

that is only for compatibility with a.out binary format.  as you can see
in ld.so.conf(5) (not (1) as i mistakenly noted before):

NAME
     ld.so.conf - run-time link-editor configuration file

DESCRIPTION

[...]

     On a.out(5) systems, this file is scanned by ldconfig(8) to create the
     hints files used by the run-time linker /usr/libexec/ld.so to locate
     shared libraries.

     On elf systems, this file is scanned directly by the run-time linker
     /usr/libexec/ld.elf_so.

[...]

from ldconfig(8):

NAME=20
     ldconfig - configure the a.out shared library cache
                              ^^^^^

in /etc/rc.d/ldconfig it's clearly explained:

[...]

ldconfig_start()
{
        if [ -f ${ldconfig_command} ]; then
                echo "Creating a.out runtime link editor directory cache."
                               ^^^^^
                ${ldconfig_command}
        fi
}