Subject: 3C905C-TXM rev 0x78
To: netbsd-help <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Matt Herzog <mherzog@attbi.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/02/2002 21:39:09
Hi Again.

I have this troublesome 3COM NIC that I'm not sure
what to do with. Under 1.5.3_RC2 i386 NetBSD it shows
up in dmesg like so:

ex1 at pci0 dev 17 function 0: 3Com 3c905C-TX 10/100 Ethernet with mngmt
(rev. 0 x78)
ex1: interrupting at irq 9
ex1: MAC address 00:01:02:70:91:a7
OUI 0x001018 model 0x0017 rev 7 at ex1 phy 24 not configured

Obviously it's not going to work at all in 1.5.3_RC2.

Under NetBSD 1.6_Beta1 the device is configured at boot and
will work for a few minutes until is starts complaining about
bad frame lengths. (The card it talks to across the wire on
my mailgate/firewall/NAT is a 3Com 905-TX card with a Lucent
chip.) A couple times the 3C905C went completely offline and
NetBSD told me the device had timed-out.

So, is this a revision no one has been fortunate enough to
test? Should I RMA the card or should I keep it and run it
on a -current machine? I'm not sure whether it's defective
or just some oddball revision.

--
Matthew Herzog