Subject: Re: high bandwidth transfers fail through netbsd gateway ?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: res17fyz <res17fyz@verizon.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/02/2002 17:51:30
Anders Dinsen anders@dinsen.net :
>On Sun, 2 Jun 2002 jcline@ieee.org wrote:
>> The problem is that large PC transfers hang after ~1-2 megs.
>> i.e. an ftp to ftp.netbsd.org, or web video, etc, will stop
>> packet flow.  At this point I can kill the PC app and normal
>> ftp or web browsing works ok, however the transfer is toast.
>> What's the difference between a high bandwidth connection
>> and a slow one?  The DSL link is 768k downstream and 384k up
>> (supposedly though luckily I'm only 2 blocks from the CO so
>> it should be max rate).

>Does it work without the NetBSD box? I have seen ADSL modems do this with
>bad lines, which may (strangely) occur when the CO is located close to the
>CPE.

Yes, it works without the NetBSD gateway in the middle, i.e.
--[dsl modem] -- eth -- [ hub ] -- [ pc ]

I can ftp fine (for ex. archive.progeny.com, 62kb/s download) and
view high bandwidth streams (for ex. yahoo news).
Also, I can ftp from the NetBSD gateway itself, i.e. the following
works fine too, in fact I installed via network.
--[dsl modem] -- eth tlp0 -- [netbsd]

So it seems there's something along the netbsd--rtk0--PC path that is
the problem.

Any ideas?  I suppose I need to test the rtk0 path, perhaps enable ftp on
netbsd and try to stress LAN-side data flow.