Subject: Re: comms/birda usage: 1.5Z required?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Russell McManus <russell_mcmanus@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/02/2002 00:31:04
Urban Boquist <urban@boquist.net> writes:

> Russell> Any ideas how to figure out what device my thinkpad is using
> Russell> for IrDA?  I grepped through the output of dmesg, and googled
> Russell> a bit, but I haven't found any information.
>
> You should look for a line starting with "irframe0", something like:
>
> irframe0 at oboe0: SIR, MIR, FIR
>
> but I don't think you will find it on a thinkpad. The other
> possibility is that the BIOS makes the IrDA port show up as a normal
> serial port. So look again at dmesg output for lines like:
>
> com0 at isa0 port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4: ns16550a, working fifo
> com1 at isa0 port 0x3e8-0x3ef irq 5: ns16550a, working fifo
>
> if it shows more lines than you know that the machine has serial ports
> (I would guess that it has only one), one of them may be your IrDA
> port. Just try pilot-xfer directly on the corresponding device, e.g.,
> /dev/tty01.

Thanks to your pointer, I have verified that the Thinkpad 600 is
indeed one of those models for which the IrDA interface appears as a
normal serial port.

IBM provides DOS and NT configuration programs which enable/disable
the actual serial port on the box, as well as the IrDA port.  I've
downloaded the NT version of this program, and run it successfully; I
disabled the serial port and enabled the IrDA interface.

During boot I get a message from dmesg like so:

  com0 at isa0 port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4: ns16550a, working fifo

I assume that this maps to /dev/tty00.  Unfortunately, when I try
pilot-xfer /dev/tty00 --list, and then try to sync, it just hangs.
:-(

-russ