Subject: Re: Programs and logging off
To: Jeff Flowers <jeffrey@jeffreyf.net>
From: Andy R <quadreverb@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/31/2002 12:36:38
--- Jeff Flowers <jeffrey@jeffreyf.net> wrote:
> Can I start a program in such a way that it will
> continue running even
> if I log out? If so, how would I regain control of
> the program later?
>
> I am asking about this because I needed to download
> a large file while
> logged on remotely via ssh but I didn't want to stay
> logged on for the
> time the download would have required.

For this particular problem, I would use wget (in
pkgsrc somewhere). The command you would use is:

nohup wget <url> >& logfile.out & (assuming you are
using csh or tcsh like I do)

Then you can tail -f logfile.out from any other
session and check progress.

Another cool way of doing things on your machine
without actually sitting at it or staying logged in is
vnc. You can start an xsession that only exists in
memory and log into it remotely with a client or a
java enabled browser. Security warnings apply.
However, it seems to be a stable and secure program
that just needs more resources than a standard
terminal, but for me, it's very very useful.

Andy