Subject: Re: When SMP in formal release? Which OS? Virtual mailboxes
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@wasabisystems.com>
From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon@widomaker.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/31/2002 12:57:54
On Tue, May 28, 2002 at 07:57:03PM -0400, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> Ivan Dolezal <ivan.dolezal@vsb.cz> writes:
> > I was wondering if there was any realistic estimation (I mean: time,
> > not version number) when NetBSD could support multiprocessor machines
> > in formal release... or am I missing something in i386 section?
>
> It is hard to give time estimates. However, the i386 MP code should be
> integrated into the head very soon, which means the next formal
> release after 1.6 will almost certainly have it.

Do you see this release as being better than early SMP code for Linux
and FreeBSD?  In other words, is this likely to be a release that has
learned lessons from those implementations, so will likely be fairly good?

The first SMP Linux and FreeBSD code was... rocky.

--
UNIX/Perl/C/Pizza__________________________________shannon@widomaker.com