Subject: Re: Proper way to move /var/mail to /usr/mail?
To: Paul Hoffman <phoffman@proper.com>
From: David S. <davids@idiom.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/30/2002 12:36:02

> >Another idea may be to configure your mail delivery agent and your POP3
> >server to use mailboxes located in the user's home directories.
>
> That's probably the best idea, and when I switch to qmail (soon, I
> hope), that will all be taken care of.

If you configure 'sendmail' to use 'procmail' as the local delivery
agent, you can deliver to Maildirs in users' home directories.  Add

	FEATURE(`local_procmail', `/usr/pkg/bin/procmail')
and
	MAILER(procmail)

to your '.mc' file, and make an '/etc/procmailrc' file that looks
like

	PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/pkg/bin
	MAILDIR=$HOME
	DEFAULT=$MAILDIR/Maildir/

Each user will still need an empty mbox in '/var/mail', and you'll
also probably want utility to convert existing mboxes to Maildirs
- a number are available.

You can also probably configure 'procmail' to deliver to mboxes in
home directories (you can configure 'procmail' to do damn near
anything with mail), but I haven't tried that.

David S.