Subject: Re: Proper way to move /var/mail to /usr/mail?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Paul Hoffman <phoffman@proper.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/30/2002 08:22:16
At 12:36 AM -0400 5/30/02, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
>Paul Hoffman <phoffman@proper.com> writes:
>>  Does the following seem like a safe way to have mail put in /usr
>>  instead of /var?
>>
>>  1) create /usr/mail with the same permissions as /var/mail
>>  2) shut down sendmail to prevent incoming mail from writing locally
>>  3) mv /var/mail/* /usr/mail
>>  4) rmdir /var/mail
>>  5) ln -s /usr/mail /var/mail
>
>Looks fine. You might just mv /var/mail /usr/mail and do the ln,
>though -- it will work (with NetBSD's mv.)

Good idea, and that worked fine. Thanks!

At 10:57 PM -0700 5/29/02, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
>You may also want to use a different POP3 server or configure your POP3
>server to not copy to a temporary file.

I'm using qpopper, and it requires a temp file. And, yes, I'm looking
into other POP servers (as long as they do either APOP or run over
SSL).

>(Even if you change to /usr/mail for your mailboxes, you may still have
>the same tmp problem.)

Yes and no. qpopper doesn't use /tmp, it uses a temp file in the
directory that your mailbox is in. Thus, the problem with the default
mailbox location of /var/mail.

>Another idea may be to configure your mail delivery agent and your POP3
>server to use mailboxes located in the user's home directories.

That's probably the best idea, and when I switch to qmail (soon, I
hope), that will all be taken care of.

--Paul Hoffman