Subject: Re: JDK for NetBSD?
To: dmelton@banzuke.com <dmelton@banzuke.com>
From: Rasputin <rasputin@idoru.mine.nu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/30/2002 10:44:35
* dmelton@banzuke.com <dmelton@banzuke.com> [020530 08:54]:

> Thanks for the input.  I was trying to be consistent and
> start using pkgsrc for everything...
>
> I do have mod_jk installed, from the "www/ap-jk" package.
>
> Anyway, I just downloaded and unpacked jakarta-tomcat-4.0.3
>
> The JDK installation sets up a default CLASSPATH variable of:
> CLASSPATH=/usr/pkg/java/lib/classes.zip:.

Does it? Not for 1.3 it doesn't?

> I have JAVA_HOME set to /usr/pkg/java

Where is that set ? In the tomcat startup scripts, or in your environment?

> When I run the new bin/startup.sh, I get a reasonable-looking
> display of:
> Using CATALINA_BASE:   /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.3
> Using CATALINA_HOME:   /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.3
> Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.3/temp
> Using JAVA_HOME:       /usr/pkg/java
>
> But logs/catalina.out shows:
> Unable to initialize threads: cannot find class java/lang/Thread

It's definitely a classpath issue, then.
Unset it , then try starting tomcat - so long as JAVA_HOME is set ,
it should work (Does here, same version of tomcat, NetBSD 1.5.3)

If you *need* a custom classpath, then you'd probably get away with
adding an 'unset CLASSPATH' near the top of the tomcat startup scripts,
and letting it set its own.