Subject: Re: JDK for NetBSD?
To: dmelton@banzuke.com <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Lasse =?iso-8859-1?Q?Hiller=F8e?= Petersen <lhp@toft-hp.dk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/30/2002 09:04:48
At 7:57 +0200 30/05/02, dmelton@banzuke.com wrote:
>I'm getting closer, but still no Tomcat...
>
>I have the Sun JDK 1.3 installed and working.
>I've rebuilt Apache so I could install jserv.
>Tomcat is installed, and Apache is configured to use it.
>
>When I try to start Tomcat, I get:
>
>java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/xml/sax/HandlerBase
>at org.apache.tomcat.startup.Tomcat.execute(Tomcat.java)
>at org.apache.tomcat.startup.Tomcat.main(Tomcat.java)
>
>My guess is that SAX would be part of the Crimson package,
>which is also installed.  crimson.jar is in /usr/pkg/lib/java,
>and /usr/pkg/lib/java is in my CLASSPATH.

I don't know which Tomcat you're using, but Tomcat 4 works straight from
Jakarta.apache.org (I see absolutely no reason to use pkgsrc for Tomcat).
Just install Sun JDK-1.3.1_02 from pkgsrc and unpack Tomcat, be sure to set
JAVA_HOME=/usr/pkg/java, cd to wherever you unpacked Tomcat and start it
with bin/startup.sh

I believe the docs even say you _shouldn't_ put anything in the classpath,
as the startup script does this for you, and also Tomcat 4 has a quite
elaborate classloader hierarchy.

Also, jserv isn't really usable with Tomcat, is it? I'd suggest you use
mod_jk for Apache, although you can probably do well without Apache
altogether in many cases.

-Lasse