Subject: Re: comms/birda usage: 1.5Z required?
To: Russell McManus <russell_mcmanus@yahoo.com>
From: Urban Boquist <urban@boquist.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/30/2002 00:10:34
>>>>> Russell McManus writes:

Russell> Any ideas how to figure out what device my thinkpad is using
Russell> for IrDA?  I grepped through the output of dmesg, and googled
Russell> a bit, but I haven't found any information.

You should look for a line starting with "irframe0", something like:

irframe0 at oboe0: SIR, MIR, FIR

but I don't think you will find it on a thinkpad. The other
possibility is that the BIOS makes the IrDA port show up as a normal
serial port. So look again at dmesg output for lines like:

com0 at isa0 port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4: ns16550a, working fifo
com1 at isa0 port 0x3e8-0x3ef irq 5: ns16550a, working fifo

if it shows more lines than you know that the machine has serial ports
(I would guess that it has only one), one of them may be your IrDA
port. Just try pilot-xfer directly on the corresponding device, e.g.,
/dev/tty01.

The third possibility is that the IrDA chip in your thinkpad needs a
special driver that is not yet written for NetBSD. In this case you
are on your own... ;-(

Hope this helps,

        -- Urban