Subject: About syslog.conf
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Eric Jacoboni <jaco@teaser.fr>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/28/2002 21:49:57
Hi,

I have some problems to understand how syslog works on NetBSD (and,
probably, on other Unix ;-).

I run a INN server and i'm using UUCP batches to sync it with my ISP's
news server.

I've noticed my /var/log/messages is polluted with lines like:

May 28 21:00:05 titine rnews: offered <1pQI8.10$hV.601@paloalto-snr2.gtei.net> teaser
May 28 21:00:05 titine rnews: offered <1fcwvcl.9cicsmvh2sggN%manu@netbsd.org> teaser
May 28 21:00:05 titine rnews: offered <pan.2002.05.28.20.56.32.37948.3338@free.fr> teaser
May 28 21:00:05 titine innd: localhost:18 closed seconds 0 accepted 49
refused 0 rejected 0 duplicate 0 accepted size 91716 duplicate size 0

What i want to do is to dispatch these messages in separate log files
(say, newslog) as for lpd, ftpd, etc. keeping
/var/log/messages for growing as fast as it does...

For exemple, i was thinking that adding a line like:

news.info                                         /var/log/newslog

will do the trick, but that's not the case :(

The log messages are sent to /var/log/newslog but are still in
/var/log/messages (so i have two copies of each of them...). Even
worse : i have three copies of each as inn is configured (via inn.conf) to
send its logs in /var/news/log. So my actual problem is how to disable
news logs in /var/log/messages...

--
Éric Jacoboni, né il y a 1326056237 secondes