Subject: Re: Non techie question...
To: alfblack@yahoo.com, netbsd-help <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Andy R <quadreverb@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/28/2002 06:38:32
--- Alfredo Estuar <alfblack@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I was wondering why many linux websites dont list
> *BSD
> OSes.. Are they not that related?? I did see the
> diff
> in the device naming conventions... (I prefer hda,
> etc..)

The simple answer is yes they are related, but the
more complicated answer is that Linux belongs to GNU
(well, at least on paper anyway), and GNU zealots
won't even acknowledge the existence of non GNU
software. And they really try to keep it that way.
That's the general feeling I get from the whole deal.
The development of the Linux kernel has included a
modicum of stupidity in the 2.2 release as well. You
won't see those kind of bugs in a *BSD kernel.

NetBSD is to Linux as Solaris is to HP-UX or
something. They may feel the same in many ways, but
they certainly are not at the lowest levels.

Andy