Subject: Re: Partitioning 80 Gig. Wont boot.
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/27/2002 17:25:22
On Mon, May 27, 2002 at 04:50:56PM +0200, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> On Mon, May 27, 2002 at 02:43:13AM -0700, Alfredo Estuar wrote:
> > HELP!
> >
> > I'm trying to make a new NetBSD setup. I've done the
> > procedure. being a beginer I use defaults. It's gives
> > errors about 1000 (something) cylinders prob. and
> > installs.

I think that is a warning that can usually be ignored...

> > From what I make of it. It is in the right
> > place (first partition).
> >
> > WHen I do a hd boot. I get No OS error. (not exact msg).

ok - that indicates that the first sector of the partition
didn't contain boot code (last bytes 0xaa, 0x55 (or v.v.))

> > Need advice.
>
> Well, we really need more details about our setup. partitions size,
> geometry reported by BIOS, NetBSD release you're installing, etc ...

maybe you didn't run installboot?

> How old is your hardware ? Also make sure the disk type in BIOS is set
> as appropriate.

You might be able to boot your system by booting from the CD,
pressing 'space' to interrupt the countdown, then type

  boot hd0a:netbsd

at the prompt.

	David

--