Subject: Re: X window: fatal server error: XF86Setup doesn't help
To: Balteo <balteo@wanadoo.fr>
From: Brian A. Seklecki <lavalamp@spiritual-machines.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/27/2002 02:55:41
On Sun, 26 May 2002 @ 4:09am (-0400), Balteo wrote:

B> Hello,
B> On your advice I tried XF86Setup but it doesn't help: after I finish the
B> installation it tries to start the X server and I get a black screen that
B> freezes indefinitely.

Right.  As Manuel Bouyer has been pointing out, you're simply nor familiar
with the procedure.  You simply need to tune your settings using
XF86Setup.  When you start it again, it will recycle your existing
settings.  You and use it to tweak your settings to optimal values.
Consult your video card and monitor's specs.

Back up your /etc/X11/XF86Config once you get a working one.  It doesn't
sound like you're ready to start editing the file manually, yet.

-lava