Subject: Re: Weird xterm menus... (fwd)
To: Richard Rauch , <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Phillip Rulon <pjr@gnu.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/24/2002 17:43:13
On Friday 24 May 2002 10:20 am, Richard Rauch wrote:
> I'm running a 1.5.2/i386 system.  Tonight I noticed something weird with
> my xterms, when I tried to twiddle an option: The menus are physically too
> small to present the range of options.

[snip]

> *xterm*background: DarkGrey
> *xterm*activeIcon: TRUE
> *xterm*cursorColor: Orange
> *xterm*pointerColor: Red
> *xterm*pointerColorBackground: Black
> *xterm*font: 9x15
> *xterm*scrollBar: 1
> *xterm*saveLines: 1024
> *xterm*geometry: 80x58+0+0

IIRC, it's that last thats the problem.  Comment that out and see if
it makes a difference.  I believe what's up is that the geometry spec
for the main window has units of character cell size and the menus
are calibrated in pixels.  So, since we have xterm*geometry: 80x58+0+0,
the shell window gets 8x58 characters and the menus get 80x58 pixels.

Try it using the command line geometry spec and cut out the Xresource
spec (you may have to log out and log back in for the changes to take
effect).  e.g.

% xterm -geometry 80x58 &

It is possible to do what is right using just the Xresources but it
may be tough to maintain interest in the detail required.

HTH

pjr