Subject: Re: Weird xterm menus... (fwd)
To: Tracy Nelson <tnelson158@attbi.com>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/24/2002 16:18:50
> > Any suggestions or ideas?  Or am I the only one to see this kind of thing?
>
> I'm running 1.5.3_RC2/i386.  I don't have any problems.  I see on an rxvt
> page that the xterm pop-up menu is statically configured at compile time.
> Is there any chance you could rebuild xterm and see if that helps?

Found it:

*xterm*vt100*geometry: 80x58+0+0
      ++++++

Adding those chars to the .Xdefaults file fixes it.  Apparently, the menu
was using a similar geometry specification, and so that option was forcing
the menu to use an 80 by 58 *pixel* window (xterm's main console is
described in character cells, not pixels, of course).

And, putting that in my .Xdefaults is something that I've done in the last
6 months.  (I used to have .twmrc and .xinitrc specifying geometry
redundantly, and then when I typed ``xterm'' I got a generic xterm, so I
set up .Xdefaults---incorrectly,  guess.  (^&)

Mea culpa, but problem solved.

Thanks to you and Andy for responding, though.