Subject: Re: ld confusion
To: James K. Lowden <jklowden@speakeasy.org>
From: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@netbsd.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/24/2002 12:28:22
On Thu, May 23, 2002 at 09:34:58PM -0400, James K. Lowden wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm trying to install perl's DBD::mysql driver (database/p5-DBD-mysql) on
> my 1.4.2 generic box.  It won't build with the patch, and it won't run
> without it.  I'm not sure if I have a problem with ld, perl, or the perl
> script, and I'd be very glad for any perls of wisdom.
>
> patch/patch-aa looks like this:
>
> +    } elsif ($Config::Config{'osname'} eq 'netbsd') {
> +       # We need to link with -Wl,-R if we're on NetBSD
> +       $linkwith = "-Wl,-R$libdir";

What version of perl do you have installed on your system?  You may want
to make sure that you have perl>=5.6.1nb5, and I recommend using
perl-5.6.1nb7 (the most recent version in pkgsrc).  The change that you
cite above looks very old (I actually can't seem to find it in the CVS
history, though it looks familiar), and it's since been improved.  The
latest perl package (5.6.1nb7) should work without problems on either ELF
or a.out platforms, so it _should_ work on your NetBSD-1.4.2/i386 system.

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@jgrind.org>