Subject: Re: scsi tape drive issue
To: Tracy Nelson <tnelson158@attbi.com>
From: Matt Herzog <mherzog@attbi.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/24/2002 14:31:26
On Fri, May 24, 2002 at 11:24:40AM -0700, Tracy Nelson wrote:
> Matt Herzog wrote:
> > Anyway, ever since this first usage I cannot talk to the device even
> > with the simplest mt commands. All mt commands render the same i/o
> > error message.
> >
> > # mt status
> > mt: /dev/nrst0: Input/output error
>
> Have you tried hard-booting to reset the drive hardware?  It could be infant
> mortality.  It could also be a tape failure, although my drive (an old TR-5
> unit) handles those a lot more gracefully.  If you pull the tape and
> reinsert, does the drive rewind and tension it properly?  If not, then it
> sounds like the drive itself is bad.  If it does, then the transport
> electronics are probably OK and it might be just the SCSI driver circuitry
> that's gone south.
>
> Good luck!
> -- Tracy Nelson

Thanks. I have rebooted several times. I have tried 2 brand new tapes.
The drive exercises the tape vigorously . . . much rewinding and retensioning
seems to occur. It makes plenty of noise doing this. If I pull the tape and
reinsert, the same activities happen. Odd to see no error messages from
dmesg if the drive curcuitry is really fried. No?

--
Matthew Herzog