Subject: scsi tape drive issue
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Matt Herzog <mherzog@attbi.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/24/2002 14:00:55
Hi All.

I just started playing with my new Seagate Hornet scsi tape drive.  The first
time I loaded a tape and ran a dump, it seemed to be working fine but stopped
and asked for another tape. My script failed to complete it's tasks, i.e.
failed to mount the new tape, and gave some error I didn't think to save.
There is no way this dump could have used up my 10GB tape because the NetBSD
(1.5.2) slice of the disk is only 4GB.

Anyway, ever since this first usage I cannot talk to the device even with
the simplest mt commands. All mt commands render the same i/o error message.

# mt status
mt: /dev/nrst0: Input/output error

dmesg had this to say:

------------------------ snip ---------------------------------------------
biomask f57d netmask fd7d ttymask fdff
scsibus0: waiting 2 seconds for devices to settle...
probe(ahc0:0:0): Unexpected busfree in Message-out phase
SEQADDR == 0x165
ahc0: target 0 using 8bit transfers
ahc0: target 0 synchronous at 10.0MHz, offset = 0xf
st0 at scsibus0 target 0 lun 0: <Seagate, STT20000N, 7.27> SCSI2 1/sequential re
movable
st0: drive empty
ahc0: target 1 using 8bit transfers
ahc0: target 1 synchronous at 10.0MHz, offset = 0x10
cd0 at scsibus0 target 1 lun 0: <TOSHIBA, CD-ROM XM-6201TA, 1030> SCSI2 5/cdrom
removable
ahc0: target 6 using 16bit transfers
ahc0: target 6 synchronous at 20.0MHz, offset = 0x1f
ahc0: target 6 using tagged queuing
sd0 at scsibus0 target 6 lun 0: <IBM, DNES-309170W, SAH0> SCSI3 0/direct fixed
sd0: 8748 MB, 11474 cyl, 5 head, 312 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 17916240 sectors

------------------------ snip ---------------------------------------------

I have SCSIVERBOSE in the running kernel but I see nothing
in /var/log/messages.

Any suggestions? Should termination problems give human readable
error messages? I have an active terminator on each of my scsi
adapter's busses. Do I want SCSIDEBUG in my kernel config file or
does SCSIVERBOSE imply or supercede it? SCSIDEBUG is not in the
GENERIC config file but it's in the scsi man page.

Thanks for the help.

--
Matthew Herzog