Subject: Re: xmh/nmh - was: Backgrounds in X
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus20020524T060947@wsrcc.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/24/2002 06:22:07
jarkko.teppo@er-grp.com writes:
> Ughh, yesterday I once again tried to figure out why people use emacs.
> Tried VM (the mail-reader, on emacs-21.2) and at first it seemed OK
> until I tried to open a meager 50MB mailbox. Now, this was on a 333MHz
> 21164 Alpha with 128MB memory.

Trying to use 50MB mailbox files won't work too well.  Vm tries to
read every part of the file so you end up pulling all 50M into memory.
You also get to run elisp code to grab all the vm-specific headers
that it uses for the summary window's info.

On the other hand, I've used Kyle's vm.el since day one and as long as
you roll your INBOX over every week with a cron task you'll be just
fine.  (eg. "mv INBOX "mail/INBOX-`date +%Y%m%d`").

-wolfgang
--
       Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus@dailyplanet.wsrcc.com>
		    http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/