Subject: Re: xmh/nmh - was: Backgrounds in X
To: None <jarkko.teppo@er-grp.com>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/24/2002 03:50:03
> > Still, it looks nice.  A bit slow, but cute.
>
> Ughh, yesterday I once again tried to figure out why people use emacs.
> Tried VM (the mail-reader, on emacs-21.2) and at first it seemed OK

I use it for editing TeX (it's nice for matchig some syntax; when your
keyboard is a little flakey or your typing isn't so hot, it's nice to have
the help/warnings).  I also use its ``speedbar'' for navigating new code.
(I first learned about this feature in an Operating Systems course where I
used the speedbar to find my way around a small toy OS kernel.  I've used
it a time or two on NetBSD kernel code, too...  Once you know the code
better, I don't think that it's so useful though it may still be a bit
faster for getting around at times.  Probably any editor with tags support
would be as good, though, once you know the code.)

(Then again, the Amiga Uedit editor with it's ``folding'' mode might be
about as good as the emacs speedbar.  I never really used the folding
support, though.  Hm...it's almost tempting to hunt down the code for that
and see if it can be ported to NetBSD.  Though unless someone else has
already ported it once, it will probably be some effort.  Lots of Amiga
specific code, and Rick Stiles had down-coded some parts into assembly for
performance.  Then again, I kind of got the impression that Stiles was
trying to do an emacs-ish editor with a BASIC-like language in place of
LISP, so maybe it would be better just to port the editing modes.  (^&)

(ramble)

Then again, if I were going to port an Amiga editor, I'd probably want DME
more than Uedit.

 [...]
> I'm still trying to find the "perfect" mail-reader (mutt is pretty close)
> but I'm now inspired to try exmh :-)

Mutt, I recall, is a very spare (NOT to say feature-poor), console-based
mail reader.  exmh is very GUI-ish mail reader.  Very different animals.
I don't know how it would perform on your 50MB mailbox...

xmh, like exmh, relies upon mh/nmh, but doesn't have as much goo in the
GUI.  (^&

I've not really seen a great mail reader.  I like the philosophy of
mh/nmh, though I'd rather be able to interact with a remote mailbx, as
opposed to importing mail from the remote.  Oh well...  Good luck finding
your perfect mail-reader.