Subject: Re: ld confusion
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: James K.Lowden <jklowden@speakeasy.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/24/2002 02:09:29
On Thu, 23 May 2002 22:10:01 -0500 (CDT) Frederick Bruckman
<fredb@immanent.net> wrote:

> The i386 port switched binary
> formats from a.out to ELF with 1.5; m68k and all remaining ports will
> be switched for 1.6. Part of the motivation for the switch is to use
> the well-maintained GNU linker, which has the same options on all
> ports (which are different from many of the obsolete a.out linkers,
> all of which were called "ld", too).

I see.  I didn't know what the motivation was.

> I recommend upgrading to a more recent ELF release or snapshot at the
> first opportunity. Then, this will all seem like a bad dream. ;-)

I hear you loud and clear.  The firewall duties are due to be taken up by
an old sparcstation, at which time the webserver can be brought into the
21st century, none too soon.

It's actually been surprising how long I've been able to keep going with
1.4.2.  My workstation is 1.5.2; the 1.4 box is a firewall-cum-webserver
that I haven't gotten around to upgrading.  There hasn't really been a
crying need:

# uptime
 2:03AM  up 194 days,  2:23, 21 users, load averages: 0.25, 0.18, 0.16

Out of date, doesn't work too hard, and doesn't sleep much.  Sort of like
me.

Many thanks once more.

--jkl