Subject: Re: customizing rxvt
To: None <sar@computer.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/22/2002 13:43:59
On Wed, 22 May 2002 s_a_r_ieee@cox.net wrote:

> I've just installed rxvt from pkgsrc and found it's missing
> some features I want, like Xdefaults support.

What's disabled in the package is the *shortcut* Xdefaults, so "rxvt"
will use, rather, the same mechanism that other X applications use. I
just added this:

Rxvt.geometry:                  600x500+100+0

to my ~/.Xresources, and it worked as expected. What's confusing you,
perhaps, is that the default "defaults" file on NetBSD is something
like `~/.Xdefaults-`hostname`'. You can override that to something
more sensible by setting XENVIRONMENT in your environment. If you use
"xdm", you could add something like the following to ~/.xsession:

export XENVIRONMENT=${HOME}/.Xresources

or

export XENVIRONMENT=${HOME}/.Xdefaults

but executing one of those lines in your shell should do, for now.

> Where should I look to find the docs for customizing a
> package built from pkgsrc, and the specifics for
> customizing rxvt?

Any package supplied hooks would be described in
"/usr/pkgsrc/mk/bsd.pkg.defaults.mk", if there were any. There aren't.
It's usually better to just turn everything on. We only need to
support build variations when turning on one feature disables or
degrades some other feature.

For detailed information about "rxvt", as for any package, you might
start with the ${HOMEPAGE} listed in the Makefile. (You'll never guess
what "rxvt"'s homepage is.)

Frederick