Subject: Re: xmh/nmh - was: Backgrounds in X
To: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/22/2002 02:43:09
>   | I found exmh later this afternoon.  It looks nice.  I couldn't find the
>   | config options for pgp/gpg, though,
>
> You need to have PGP installed (one version or another) and configured

Hm.  I thought that I had set up pgp or gpg for toying around since
upgrading to 1.5.2.  Maybe not, or maybe I cleaned out the configuration.
Well, that would explain that, in any case.

> I suspect you're seeing messages about not being able to talk to the back end
 [...]
> xhost stuff ("xhost -") and make sure you are using xauth security.
> The latter is easy using xdm, then it is just a matter of (perhaps)
> "xhost -" to disable any host based access).

I don't care for xdm.  (^&  But that shouldn't prevent me from sorting out
xauth if I care.

>   | It also wanted some things like rplay (it even
>   | had the /usr/pkg/bin/rplay pathname, I think) which were not marked as
>   | dependancies in the pkgsrc Makefile.
>
> "wanted" is too strong I think.   exmh is an example of a package done
> just right.   It will use lots of other things if they're installed,

I'm not sure that I agree that it's ``just right''.  If we had some kind
of soft dependancies in the package system, these could be listed there,
and not installing them would be fine.

I can see reasons for not making real pkgsrc dependancies against all of
the frills that it can use, but it's not an ideal situation.

>   | Still, it looks nice.  A bit slow, but cute.
>
> It shouldn't be slow, though it will be better once the exmh people
> make a release out of the code that is in their cvs repository - a few
> things that are slow have been cleaned up).
>
> But xmh / exmh style interface, with nmh running to do all the real work,
> and a file per message, is always going to be slower that some other mail

I mean the exmh windows flashing about are sluggish, not crisp as
everything else is on my system.  (Sluggish is a relative concept, and it
may be more perceptual than real---I think that exmh is prone to opening
windows at the wrong size and resizing them.  That's the flickering
impression that's delivered, anyway.)  This is visually annoying.  (This
is what I mean by ``a bit'' slow.)

I only have a few hundred email messages in my mailbox, from when my home
machine had a static IP.  So far, the nmh access to that is quite
acceptable.