Subject: Re: What to do when generic kernel won't boot successfully
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Mueller <tmueller@bluegrass.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/22/2002 02:22:15
> If you've booted installation kernel, presumably from the installation
> floppies, configure your network and use FTP to get a working kernel
> from ftp.netbsd.org or somewhere.

> David S.

I might not be able to do that with a PPP dialup account, though of course I
would not be limited to NetBSD for using FTP.  I could also use FTP from
DR-DOS 7.03 or Linux.

But the real problem is that the kernels I might download from ftp.netbsd.org
or mirrors would not be working kernels.

Thanks to other responders for suggestions on setting up to compile the kernel
from syssrc.tgz when booting installation kernel.  I intend to try but not
immediately.  I downloaded NetBSD 1.5.3rc2 installation and generic kernels for
test purposes and ran DOSBOOT.COM on the generic kernel, from DR-DOS 7.03, not
to run NetBSD 1.5.3 unless I can tweak the kernel successfully: a very doubtful
prognosis.