Subject: Re: xmh/nmh - was: Backgrounds in X
To: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
From: Phillip Rulon <pjr@gnu.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/21/2002 18:19:34
On Tuesday 21 May 2002 01:31 pm, Richard Rauch wrote:
>> Although, xmh wants enscript if you try to print...
>
> I don't have any local MIME stuff to check with...how does xmh handle mail
> attaches?  metamail?  Or does it just show you the whole mail body and let
> you figure it out?

Linus Torvalds once said that the inventor of MIME should be nailed to
a cross (or so).  But who runs his system anyway - ;^)

In fact xmh is WYSIWYG about attachments so you are on your own as to what
to do with them.  If you want a good MIME aware mh setup the way to go is
exmh (pkgsrc) which also does a decent job at pgp/gpg.

> Hm.  I'm not sure how one goes about replacing the default print command.
> Can I just replaced ``XmhPrint'' with ``lpr ...''?  I assume not, but it's
> not really clear from the man-page.  (There are two ``easy'' alternatives
> that would work: One is to print the raw text to the default printer.
> The other is to go ahead and enscript the file and then send it to ``lpr
> -Pps''.  The man-pages hint that the PrintCommand resource is used, with a
> corresponding XmhPrint().  But how to piece that together to do something
> novel is not clear.  I don't mess enough with X resources to fill in the
> missing pieces...

xmh is, AFAIK, the Xresource king.  There's a whole O'reilly book about them.
As seldom as I print mail I just export it and use lpr.