Subject: Re: PPPoE in -current
To: Randy Beaudreault <maccult@pacbell.net>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/20/2002 18:32:42
On Sun, May 19, 2002 at 12:08:14PM -0700, Randy Beaudreault wrote:
> I get the following message anytime after I first boot-up during the
> configuration of network interfaces:
> pppoe0ifconfig: SIOCIFCREATE: File exists
> pppoe0ifconfig: SIOCIFCREATE: File exists
> I know that this is related to my ifconfig.pppoe0 file:
> create
> # Mark the physical interface used by this PPPoE interface up
> ! /sbin/ifconfig ae1 up
> # Let $int use ne0 as its Ethernet interface
> ! /sbin/pppoectl -e ae1 $int
> # Configure authentication
> ! /sbin/pppoectl $int myauthproto=pap 'myauthname=maccult'
> 'myauthsecret=SoshonaJuly14' hisauthproto=none
> # Configure the PPPoE interface itself.  These addresses are magic,
> meaning we don't care about
> # either address and let the remote ppp choose them
> inet 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.1 up
> I tried this without the create line but I get a different message
> then and went back and stuck it in.
>
> Why do I need the create line above

pppoe is a cloning interface, which mean the pppoe* pseudo-device are
dynamically created (rather than statically at compile time).
So you need to
ifconfig pppoe0 create before being able to use it.

> and why does it give me an error
> when I come back from single-user mode?  Can anybody answer this?

Probably because it already exists. If you do 'ifconfig pppoe0 destroy'
before exiting single user, it will work.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>