Subject: How little memory can I get away with?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Jack Lloyd <lloyd@acm.jhu.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/19/2002 19:54:59
I recently acquired a 50 Mhz 486-DX2 laptop, currently running Windows 3.1.
I was planning on installing NetBSD on it (because there is no way a modern
Linux distro can work on something this small), but have since realized
that it only has 340 megs of disk, and 4 megs of memory. Can even NetBSD
install and run on something this small? Or should I crack that puppy open
and see if I can squish more memory in?

My needs are quite trivial. Ideally, I would be able to run emacs, gcc, TeX
on it locally while I'm watching TV (probably a real stretch in this case).
Otherwise, I would just use it to ssh into a bigger machine to do my work.

Thanks,
  Jack