Subject: Re: KDE Windows Won't Drag
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Gan Uesli Starling <alias@starling.ws>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/19/2002 00:54:34
Richard Rauch writes:

> Um, did you try using another window manager (e.g., twm)?  That would
> help determine whether the problem is in X or KDE.  (Though from Martti's
> message, it seems likely to be an X bug that NetBSD's version of X has
> fixed.)

Did not try twm, etc. Instead commented out this line in the
file /etc/X11/XF86Config...

#    Option "Emulate3Buttons"

,,,and then I could drag just fine. So Martti was right. He sent me
a nicely detailed fix which I will try on the Thinkpad laptop in a
few days. If that is a go, I'll write a how-to and put it up on
http://starling.us/gus_netbsd so that anyone who scans this in an
archive can find it.

> BTW, you mention ``both'' mouse buttons.  Just as a general ``it makes
> life happier'', you might look into getting a 3-button mouse.

And I also did that. I tried picked up a dirt-cheap Memorex 3-button
mouse model MX4000 and it works fine. All I had to do to get that going
was plug it in and reboot.

I hate it though. It is so round and smooth so that my button fingers
are always wanting to slide off. But it was only $7 so I can't really
complain.  I'll keep it for a spare.

So next, I went and bought a Logitech cordless PS-2/USB mouse...
P/N 851497-0000 which I have not yet got working. But that is another querry
yet to come...after I've got the info I expect folks will want.

Thanks,

Gan