Subject: Re: "$cupsd is not set properly" (?)
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Bob Bernstein <bob@ruptured-duck.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/17/2002 08:54:39
On Fri, May 17, 2002 at 01:23:18AM -0400, James K. Lowden wrote:

> PMJI, you've got company!  If I wasn't reading the list, I never would
> have guessed that a *package* would be controlled by anything in rc.conf.

Furthering my own confusion is the fact that one can put statements in
/etc/rc.local that will launch, say, daemons that are not mentioned at
all in /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d! I have in mind, for instance, djbdns if one
installs it from its own source code rather than from pkgsrc. By some
cognitive sleight of hand that probably does not merit the attribute
"logical," I worked my way back from this experience to my (clearly
flawed) conception of /etc/rc.conf.

> The thirst for knowledge, is she never slaked?

As with most dominatrixes, methinks, no. <g>

--
Bob Bernstein